Welcome to the Vegetarian Badlands…the quick summer recipe idea for a plate full of pure color, flavor, freshness and low calorie paradise. Packed with veggies and protein and served up on a single plate, Miss Strong’s Vegetarian Badlands recipe is BAD. But so, so GOOD for the body, soul, and heart. Enjoy our recipe of fresh grilled vegetables, squash “mashed potatoes” and tuna burgers.
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 small butternut squash
- 1/2 large red bell pepper
- 1 large avocado, split in half
- 1 can tuna
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- dash of lemon/lime juice
- olive oil
- 2 cooked, mashed and skinned white potatoes
- an oven and a frying pan
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Take out a long baking sheet/cookie sheet. Cut your zucchini in half. Place both halves of the zucchini, facing up on the baking sheet. Place the whole small squash alongside the zucchini, and the bell pepper on the sheet as well, facing up. Cover the pepper and zucchini in a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper, and stick the entire pan in the oven to bake for about 35 minute, or until vegetables look cooked and the squash is soft.
2. Meanwhile, combine tuna fish, chopped peppers, lime juice, salt, mashed potatoes and a couple slices of avocado in a bowl, and mix well.
3. Heat a frying pan over medium heat with a couple tablespoons of olive oil. Form the tuna mixture into thick round patties that resemble hamburgers, and place them to cook in the pan. Cook each side about 2 min or until golden brown. Remove from heat.
4. Remove the vegetables from the oven. Place the pepper and zucchini on a plate along with your tuna burgers. Cut the squash in half, remove seeds, take a fork, and starting from top to bottom scrape the squash out to form thin strands. They may either resemble spaghetti, or scoop the inside out for a “mashed potato” consistency. Top with olive oil and salt.
5. Enjoy your plate of Badland Goodness.